Sorta here, sorta not

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Sorta here, sorta not

Post by StarFyre »

Alright, first: this will probably not affect my time on here much, in that I'll still be around and still posting, but I might take more time to reply to posts and suggestions or I might end up replying quicker than normal. It's going to depend on my mood at the time.

My father's mother, the grandmother I spent a significant amount of my childhood with (every Saturday until some time in my second year in highschool), is currently in the hospital suffering from... some sort of unknown infection. This morning, she apparently came down with pneumonia on top of that infection. She has her moments of clarity, but yesterday she mistook my father for his brother, and that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of delusions and wanderings.

My father's brother, in response to my father calling him and telling him about their mother... basically said "I'm in the process of retiring, so I can't come now. And July is going to be busy, so I can't come then. I might be able to make it out by August to help clean up." I haven't talked with dad, but... from what mom said, he didn't really take that well (y'know, in that stoic manly not-taking-things-well way).

I... don't think she's going to last very long. She's 91, and this is the end result of a rather swift (about two months from fairly capable person to bedridden in a hospital) spiral of doom. Father signed a do-not-resuscitate order on Tuesday, because she always used to say that she didn't want to be hooked up to machines.

... So. Yeah. Mood swings ahoy *absently waves hand* So.. don't mind me if I get a lil manic about things at time. Or depressed. If I start taking things out on you guys just smack me, though I do try not to do that.

... This is.. sorta like Pops all over again, for those of you who recall when my grandfather died a few years back. ... At least I don't have to deal with school on top of it all this time...
eccentricbirdie
Egg

Re: Sorta here, sorta not

Post by eccentricbirdie »

/hugs
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oh jeez, well you take it easy. :(

Uncle doesn't seem very... um... kind. I certainly hope he doesn't demand anything afterwards, without even attempting to look like he's concerned.

*hugs* I know how this goes. I'm so sorry.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

As I told Birdie, I think I've only met my Uncle David like.. five times. Maybe. I remember him coming out for at least one Thanksgiving when I was younger, I know I saw him a bit when we went out for his daughter's (first) wedding, and I cannot for the life of me recall if he came to my wedding. Mom's been taking care of granny since this whole thing started, cause she's the only one around (Dad has a job in another state, so he only comes home on the weekends usually). She's been feeding the animals, dragging my grandmother around to the store, to the doctor, to the bank, etcetc, all while trying to balance writing a thesis and doing research. *bleh* Also, granny's house is apparently infested with fleas at this point. Grump-growl-twitch.
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

Hugs from me.

Take all the time you need to decompress and... have emotions, and things. I am really terrible at knowing what to say in these situations, but yeah, we understand. -hugs-
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

Post by weyrwomanrhiannon »

*HUGS* Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties. My own grandmother is 89, and I love her dearly. Her health isn't the best either, so I completely understand. We're here for you. Manic or depressed. You'll find friends here.
Rider of Gold Alanath, Sr. Weyrwoman of Aneris Weyr
Neishai
Dragon

Post by Neishai »

Aw, man. That really sucks. I'm going through something similar with my Grampa. He's had a more gradual but still noticeable decline. And he's refusing medication on top of everything... Come to think of it, probably why I have not been around the Nexus as much as I thought I would. Every weekend we try to spend Saturdays with him and my uncle (who's beside himself and trying not to be), which leaves Sunday to do laundry and such (or just mindless relaxing?)... yeaaah.

Anyway! This time is really hard for you. No one's going to take issue if you're a little short, or if your time is short. It's completely understandable. You just do what you need to do for yourself and you're family. And we're here for ya. *HUGS!* :)
N'tyr Phii // We're Rococo / Caer Obelisk / Voivode's horde // Planet Muto
Bonder/Sponsor Database thread!

Please contact me if you find I owe you paged dragons.
Please also contact me if you have re-homed my dragons (so I don't page them by accident!)
If you just want to talk that's great!
Discord: Neishai#8117 // Toyhou.se: Melomar
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

So, as of 5 AM this morning, my grandmother's dead. Apparently she died in her sleep, and mom said she looked relatively peaceful, so...

Anyway. that's all.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

*hugs* I hope things go smoothly from here, but if you need to vent, we're always around.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

Post by weyrwomanrhiannon »

*HUGS* Sorry to hear about your grandmother. At least she's at peace now. Our thoughts are with you.
Rider of Gold Alanath, Sr. Weyrwoman of Aneris Weyr
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

*sends many hugs* :c I'm so sorry that it went badly. I hope you and your family are doing okay, Star.
Cy
Dragon

Post by Cy »

I'm sorry for your loss :[ We're all here for you.