Teacher, me? Whut?

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Teacher, me? Whut?

Post by StarFyre »

So, I got told today that the head of my department wants me to take over teaching a section of ENGR222B, which is an introduction to programming course for the general Engineering college as a whole.

That just... I mean... Me. Teaching. I'm just a friggin master's student in what will be my second semester of classes. >.> But hey, it comes with a pay raise, so, er, let's see how I like it =P

teaching. Teaching...... *wanders off absently*
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Re: Teacher, me? Whut?

Post by Starburst »

Congrats! I've always wanted to be a teacher.
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

It does help that I'm currently TAing the class so I know, in general, what I'll need to teach. Also, I have a working relationship with the current instructor, so I'm going to talk with him on Thursday about, well... how this teaching shtick works =P
weyrwomanrhiannon
Fledgling

Post by weyrwomanrhiannon »

Ooooooooooooh congrats and how terrifying. I've taught Sunday school at church before, and I'd never want to go beyond that. It scares me to death, but I have a lot of anxiety being in front of people anyway. LOL. Good luck with the new job and definitely get all the pointers you can. :)
Rider of Gold Alanath, Sr. Weyrwoman of Aneris Weyr
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Wow ... it's really cool to see that you're progressing along this path, because I remember back in the day before you started classes. ;) it's super to see you getting the post!!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

*snark* Shard, you probably remember when I was a bratty little highschool student who declared that school was teh evil. =P Thanks for reminding me how long I've been part of this insanity.

Of course, Joe's snickering in amusement because if I end up liking to teach, I have to break my "Nope, only going to do a Masters. I'm not going further." statement if I want to keep teaching at this level.

Rhiannon - thanks ^^ I'm not particularly nervous - the class is a programming class, which is where my bachelor's was done (In the Computer Science field, instead of engineering), and I've been programming for over seven years at this point. And no matter how shy I am in social situations, so long as I'm on solid "ground" I'm perfectly capable of talking without stuttering or falling over myself. =P Of course, it helps that I got over stage fright a loooooong time ago back in gradeschool due to how many times I had to perform leading roles in school plays etc.

Too, I do like teaching people, though I usually do it one on one. (Just ask Yakima, or Dray, or just go look up some of my posts on this forum *snorts* I get on a high horse sometimes... oops =P ) The most trouble I have on occasion is that programming is a mindset and not just a bunch of fancy tricks, and sometimes its hard for me to see a piece of code from the pov of someone who hasn't got that mindset.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Oooh, congrats!