Search Function

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

delyar
Dragon

Search Function

Post by delyar »

Ok who decided to give us a search function? :P I decided to look up something and then spent a good 3 hours going through my own post history!

(And found a bunch of dragons and wolves I didn't page, erp!)
Character Listing
Site Listing - Links to All Sites (Link back here if confused!)
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Re: Search Function

Post by StarFyre »

Hey, not my fault that moving from phpbb2 to phpbb3 required a full rebuild of the search tables, which led to the search function actually working as it should, which led to you wasting three hours of your life rereading things you've already posted. Show some self restraint, Delyar! =P =P =P
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Isn't it horrific and wonderful? :D
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

The sad part was I got frustrated because it didn't go back far enough... :/
Character Listing
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Sadly, we have actually lost things, between some minor glitches on the old board and the stuff that was on the Knux board that couldn't get transferred or saved.

EDIT: Er, excuse me. Having looked back at literally the first posts made on this board, the second board we had didn't get minorly glitched, it got utterly destroyed by weight of numbers. According to Dev, it was only meant to support two or three people on at a time, and there was regularly like.. eight of us floating around. (Ahhh, in a time long ago and far, far away....) And it imploded to the point where Dev couldn't save anything.

Good news is, the third board we had lasted about 6 years! Hopefully this will last as long if not longer! *glowers threateningly at her webhost*
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

>_> Pay me in flamingos and we'll call it even.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Oh I certainly wasn't complaining about the quality of the board. I just got to the point where I was so addicted to searching through things that I was like "what do you MEAN nothing before 2005??" which is incredibly absurd.
Character Listing
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

I honestly could have sworn that there were things from 2003 on here, which is why I ended up searching out the first posts made, in order to sanity check myself.
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

Hmm maybe it goes a bit farther back than 2005.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

I remember 2003 being yahoo group territory. 2005 sounds about right for the board transfer, after about six months of Knux silliness.

Also, Delyar, your search function is elegant and lovely. Any chance I could snag it? I'm not familiar with php in the least... but for that, I'd be willing to learn. @.@
delyar
Dragon

Post by delyar »

My search function relies on a mysql database, sadly, so you'd have to set one of those up (which involves a hell of a lot of typing).

To give you an idea what my database looks like, it's basically an excel file with a row for each dragon including name, gender, species, colour, bond name etc. (anything you want searchable by) as well as the link to their stats page. I guess you could make a shorthand version by coding in a php array with the dragon's name as a tag but that's equally tedious. I can show you how if you're up for the tedium, if you want.
Character Listing
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Well, it might be good to have for my spare time when I'm up in Edmonton for the holidays. XD Minecraft and Nexus are good time-passers when not family-socializing!