Shadows, Nightmares & Madness

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Coloring these is taking way longer than I thought. x_x Had too much to fix on some of the templates. Sorry for the delay, dunno if these will be out tonight like I wanted. x_x
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Maybe concentrate on the folks who didn't get something from Phe's giveaway yet, so that they at least get something on Halloween? :o *roots for you!*
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

The shadows flitting across the eggs seem to tremble with anticipation of their own. Waiting. Waiting for that moment. Waiting for their mother's call.

Wake.

The smaller eggs shook violently, splitting cleaning down the middle, sending screeching, screaming little monsters everywhere. After a few initial moments of chaos and the occasional spray of silvery-white blood, the little beasts turned on any that might be watching over them, with a shrill and demanding mental assault that would leave only the most prepared and shielded psychic standing....

~*~*~*~

Since I'm behind with coloring and such, especially on the little guys since there's so many, I'm going to push them out as I get them finished. It is important to note, for story purposes, at least, the small eggs /always/ hatch before the big ones. So you won't see any of the big guys until all the little ones are out. ^_^

As a note, there will be more notes at the end of everything - so this isn't everything, but it's an interesting start.

~*~*~*~

Phase I - Frights

Info
Frights appear to be small and reptilian, hatching at nearly full adult size. They are violent early on, become smarter as more of them accumulate in a group, and are highly empathic.

Frights can bond at any point in their lives, and may do so multiple times - though they commonly do so at hatching, when clustered into a group or an already-developed swarm. Solo Frights often took for others of their kind to join later on, regardless of any caretaker they may also be attached to.
When Frights hatch, they are extremely vicious towards one another, as if establishing dominance right from the shell. They will also bond to one another, forming their own swarm or joining an existing one. While each individual Fright maintains a distinct identity and personality, a group of them also creates a hive mind or sorts.
A Fright, or even a swarm, can and will attach itself to a familiar foreign entity, such as a caretaker, but it is not a kind or gentle experience. Frights on their own are highly empathic, and a swarm of them has a great deal of psychic strength. Only a very well defended and prepared psychic or empath, or one that is of significant strength, will not be stunned or floored by the mental assault.
(Note: There is a reason for this, to be revealed in by the big guys.)

Frights are capable of consuming meat, but they do not gain as much sustenance from it as from their emotional feeding. Frights can induce certain emotions in others, and feed off of them. Negative emotions, in general, are their favorite meal, while neutral and positive emotions are not as desired, and do not carry as much nourishment.

There are seven different types of Fright, each bearing physical differences from its own kin. Each kind is associated with a particular negative emotion or affliction, and their powers hinge on that type.

Frights are capable of reproducing with anything of smiliar size to them - basically fire lizards and other such animals. They come in any number of colors, not just dark shades, despite their dislike for bright light.

Particularly of note, Frights do, in fact, become smarter the more of them are in a swarm. A individual Fright is little more than an animal - a decent hunter that invokes its empathic abilities whenever it becomes hungry.
Swarms of 3-4 Frights become very coordinated hunters, often using empathy in tandem with one another to strengthen it, and overwhelm more tempting prey. They can use sophisticated hunting patterns to attack physically, as well.
Swarms of 5-8 create what is refered to an 'Overmind' - that is in fact what the Frights call themselves. While each individual Fright maintains itself, there is also a singular consciousness that appears. The Overmind uses telepathy, and can speak from any of the Frights that make up its swarm. It will always use plural pronouns, such as 'We' or 'Us' - never 'I' - as it is not an individual, but a unique state reached when so many Frights come together. The Overmind has its own name, which it will use to refer to the swarm as a whole. Any individual names the Frights have picked up are still valid. (Added Note: Some smaller swarms, such as those consisting of 3-4 members, often produce an Overmind as well. However, it is generally child-like in thought process, and does not tend to speak up as a whole as often as one of higher intellect.)
Frights generally do not swarm higher than this number, often splitting into lesser groups to branch out bloodlines. A Fright can break its bond with its swarm to join another, but it will never go solo.
The rare groups that exceed this number can reach a genius level of intellect. They also begin to exhibit the development of Overmind powers - singular abilities that can be channeled throughout the swarm, generally magnified by how many Frights are focusing on it at once.
However, some groups have gotten larger. A Fright swarm that reaches somewhere between 15-20 individuals causes their Overmind to reach a level of intellect often associated with clairvoyance. Frights in such a collective often have extremely advanced or unusual mental abilities unique to their Overmind.

Frights will not use their empathic abilities on their bonded caretakers after the initial bonding/assault, unless there is absolutely no other food source available. It's bad juju.

As a note, the Frights from this clutch are all unrelated.
Last edited by DragonFlight on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Oooh, DF, these are going to be so cool. @___@ *stoked*
Image Image Image Image
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Writing lots and getting my thoughts organized slowed me down, but here's some. I'm sorry for the delay, and hopefully everything else - or at least the rest of these guys - will go out before the weekend is over.

Individuals can be named whatever you like. They don't have individual names when they hatch.

I should have mentioned in the info post - and I'll add it, but so no one misses it... Frights won't invoke their empathic powers on their own bonds unless they have no other foodsource. It's bad juju.

~*~*~*~

Birdie

Bonded To Ollysa ~

Overmind: Mesamyr
Identifying Voice: Male
Intelligence Rating: Average

Type: Jealousy
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Incite Envy, Devour Emotions

Type: Loathing
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Invoke Hatred, Devour Emotions

Type: Regret
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Entice Grief, Devour Emotions

Type: Panic
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Provoke Hysteria, Devour Emotions

Type: Dread
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Instigate Horror, Devour Emotions

Type: Agony
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Induce Torment, Devour Emotions
Database Being Revamped

Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

THEY ARE SO AWESOME. @.@ *even more excited now than she has been for the -whole month- previous* (which is really saying something XD)

Also: Darnit, I knew I shoulda shoved more little eggs into Taint's hoard. XD
Image... Image ... Image

Post by DragonFlight »

~*~*~*~

JKat

Fright Swarm ~
These are the three from your cattery - I wasn't sure if the characters noted in the general intro of the page would have been present, but if you like, you can assign them wherever you like. ^^;; Your other ones will be along - this is just the first set I got through.

Overmind: Nok (Pronounced Like 'Knock')
Intelligence Rating: Child-Like

Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Instigate Horror, Devour Emotions, Induce Pumpkin Pie Craving

....It appears a couple of these guys, no matter how supposedly nasty and creepy they are....have been infected by my love of this holiday.

~*~*~*~

Shard

Bonded To Omid ~

Overmind: Semah
Identifying Voice: Female

Type: Misery
Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Enforce Depression, Devour Emotions

Bonded To Sedoi ~

Abilities: Empathy, Instigate Horror, Devour Emotions

Bonded To Ushai ~

Abilities: Empathy, Invoke Hatred, Devour Emotions
Database Being Revamped

JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Aaah, Nok! Wicked! XD

Aie, DF, awesome. Thank you! "Induce Pumpkin Pie Craving" gave me the lulz SO HARD.
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Aaaaugh! Awesomeness!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Added a lesser note about the child-like Overmind since I forgot I'd written that and then not changed it to accomodate the lower numbers. ^^;;

Glad you guys like.

JKat, I apologize for the craziness of knocking on doors and craving pie, but I was sad to discover not alot of trick-or-treaters this year so it leaked out somewhere else. XD
Database Being Revamped

JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

*Cackles* Oh hell, no apologies needed. This is keen!

We've had one trick-or-treater over here this year so far so I'm happy for any extra touch of halloween I can get my little paws on. XD
Image Image Image Image
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

~*~*~*~

Kayla

Bonded To Illtud ~
Next set still in the works!

Abilities: Empathy, Provoke Hysteria, Devour Emotions

~*~*~*~

Aressaun

Bonded To Arros ~

Abilities: Empathy, Invoke Hatred, Devour Emotions

Abilities: Empathy, Provoke Hysteria, Devour Emotions

~*~*~*~

Tiiyn

Bonded To Kandice ~
Oh dear god why.....WHY DO THEY MATCH?! The PINK! It BURNS US! :3 Hehehe....

Overmind: Orchid

~*~*~*~

Ty

Bonded To Mary ~

Abilities: Empathy, Enforce Depression, Devour Emotions

Abilities: Empathy, Entice Grief, Devour Emotions

Bonded To Horse ~
The ones in storage will be up later on. Sorry for the split! ^^;

Abilities: Empathy, Induce Torment, Devour Emotions

~*~*~*~
Database Being Revamped

Post by Guest »

Oh my goodness.

This is epic.

<3

-gets to paging them-

Post by Guest »

Both Arros' frights are paged here:

http://kethayr.zzl.org/bonds/fright.html

His story will be updated later on! Thanks again :)

Can't wait to see the next wave!
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

I snuck in some coloring at work during lunch. <_<_> Don't tell on me.

In the following pickup, we see the first instance of an 'Overmind Special'. An ability listed as such is directly channeled through any member of the swarm, and is lost or gained as part of the swarm. A Fright that breaks from its swarm loses access to this special ability, and those that bond in later gain it automatically when they join the Overmind.

~*~*~*~

Phe

Bonded To Ketakutan ~
The creatures within Ketakutan's smallest eggs show definite pigment change, but was it because of the balefire itself, or just the color of Ketakutan's glow? (Pigment change is not necessarily hereditary, as it is partially derived from environmental stimuli.)

Overmind: Impulse

Overmind Special: Balefire Manipulation
Impulse can directly manipulate sources of balefire and utilize its naturally corruptive powers without being affected by it.

Abilities: Telepathy, Empathy, Enforce Depression, Devour Emotions, Provoke Vandalism

Uh oh, another Halloween-afflicted Fright! This little guy tends to like easily-cracked eggs, and streamers of white silk, tissue, or other type of fabric for his acts of vandalism. Impulse as a whole might even end up a little artistic with that potential!

~*~*~*~
Database Being Revamped

Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Bweheheheeeeee! :D :D :D Awesome! <3 <3 <3
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Sorry, been sick - these guys will continue soon as I'm feeling better - same with the cereal-themed challenge thing. x_x
Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Sorry for going MIA there, I was laid low by random bouts of illness and work stress. Am doing better though.

~*~*~*~

Unyko

Bonded To Alec ~

Overmind: Cessi

Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

~*~*~*~

Ty

No Bond ~
(These were the ones Horse had in 'storage' that didn't attach themselves to anyone, as requested.)

Overmind: Havoc

Abilities: Empathy, Induce Torment, Devour Emotions, Cause Sugar Rush

Another 'afflicted' Halloween Fright, this fine fellow can induce the effects of a sugar rush in just about anyone, even without candy! He finds that small children are easiest to affect.

~*~*~*~

StarFyre

Bonded To Ithaniri ~

Overmind: Greiskale (Yes, pronounced Graycsale/Greyscale. ^_~)
Intelligence Rating: Genius

Overmind Special: Light Manipulation, Mass Hallucination (Labyrinth)

Despite being creatures that don't particularly like the light, Greiskale has found a method to manipulate it to their ends. They can force light to flee an area just as easily as creating a blinding flash. In addition, Greiskale is capable of inducing a mass hallucination in others - the number generally depends on how many Frights focus on the task - causing them to go 'comatose' or freeze in place while they perceive themselves in an endless maze. Hallucinating individuals are extremely susceptable to the Frights' standard emotional manipulations, with the effects being amplified for the victims while they're mentally trapped. A hallucinating victim can be freed by external forces, or can free themselves....by defeating Greiskale's fiendishly heightened intellect, and locating their labyrinth's exit.

Abilities: Empathy, Entice Grief, Devour Emotions, Create Minor Illusion

A Halloween-touched Fright here, this fellow can do minor illusions and tricks. These things resemble the tales of fae glamour, and his ability is somewhat limited to superficial changes, like clothes, costumes, makeup, and so forth.

Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Ok, at this point, with the Frights, I should only have JKat, Unyko, and Kayla's larger sets remaining. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

While I'll be MIA part of tomorrow, I hope to have the remainder finished before the weekend is over.

Then I'll have the big ones ready. Thanks again for everyone's patience. <3
Database Being Revamped

Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

Haha, I never would have thought it possible to regret not being greedier. XD Genius Overminds! Awesome!

Can't wait to see the big'uns. 83
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

This won't be the last time you see these little buggers, have no fear. ^_^

I actually had to edit my info above again, I'd forgotten I'd set the Genius threshold higher.....but that's okay. Easily fixed, and I got to add something further up the chain, too. ^_^

I wonder what would happen if an Overmind attempted to subsume other small creatures into its collective.....hmm. Interesting.
Database Being Revamped

DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

Well, after work stress devoured me, and then I ended up losing my job after four years of dedicated work and service regardless.....

....I haven't been in much of a creative mood here. But with the advent of getting a new job, and the approaching of ArtSlam again, I have become determined to finish all this stuff I started.

I'm reviewing over what Frights I still need to color right now, then I'll move on to the big boys at long last. And hopefully start drawing again and getting proper webpages up once more. We can only hope.

As this isn't an update thread itself, I'll leave it at that for now. Look for more stuff here soon!
Database Being Revamped

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Wheee! Sucks about the job, but grats on the new one :D
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Ouch! I'm sorry about the job! When I saw that you'd signed up for the Artslam I was really tickled, though. :D "Yay, I know that person AND she draws awesome arts!"

I know that JKat was really excited for the big eggs to roll around. I was, too, actually! Don't stress yourself, just know that we're always avid fans of your dragons and all of the cool info that comes with them!
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

:D
Database Being Revamped

Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

(Psst, just to necro a thread -- I got to see a hint of what DF's working on. Let's all go sit on her lawn to encourage her to finish 'em! XD)
aireona93
Dragon

Post by aireona93 »

**camps out** :D
~åi®¥

Image ImageImage
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

*brings sticks, marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers to the camp out*
Keilin Alyr
Dragon

Post by Keilin Alyr »

Aww, Star beat me to the marshmallows. At least we have tons of dragons to provide the campfire, right? XD

*eagerly awaits new DF project* =)