Flits?

Giveaways or draws, contests or freebies, this is where to go for critters being given out in a non-clutch format.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Flits?

Post by Dray »

Would anybody be interested in a flit-giveaway?

I'm trying to learn how to do pixel art, and came up with this:

Just gauging to see if there's any interest in them... I know that wee-pets aren't the most popular these days!

Post by Guest »

I've got an interest in flits!
are these guys sentient? or like bird or rodent level?
jess d
Dragon

Post by jess d »

Awwww, that's adorable! I'd want one or two for sure :D
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Oh heck yes. That's adorable!!
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com

Post by Guest »

I want a fair of flits. That's lovely by the way. *grabby hands* And yes, I am very much interested in having some if you are going to giveaway some.
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

I like flits! So yes, definite interest.
DragonFlight
Dragon

Post by DragonFlight »

~Squees and makes grabby hands~
Database Being Revamped

'Epic' is most concisely defined as something that, were you to do it in view of a person in real life, they'd pretty much have to sleep with you immediately to maintain order in the universe.
I sneezed. It seems to have reshaped reality. My bad.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Mud, if you've ever read Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series, they're almost exactly like the firelizards from that. They're not sentient, so they can't speak, but they can pass empathic impressions to their bonded, and sometimes memories of images. They're only big enough to carry light-weight things in flight, possibly scrolls but nothing bigger...

And they can bond in multitudes... but I don't know how many I want to make (Not too many! D:) so I'll probably only give out one or two for now. Traditional colours and ratios for these, probably. XD Who wants the single queen? </rhetorical>

Gimme a bit and I will definitely set something up. I have to run to work shortly, so I'll probably give these away tonight.

Post by Guest »

Ooo, yippee, I can't wait. :D

Post by Guest »

Okay, That's kind of what I was guessing. I could never get into those books in high school so I find myself a little lost here sometimes.
I'll take just about any colour you throw at me. :D
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

For me, they were more a Junior High thing -- I try to go back and read them once in a while and just can't get into 'em... probably because they're meant for a younger audience? I dunno!

D: I haven't tried to read the books that her son wrote, yet. Does anybody have the scoop on them?

(Yay for derailing my own thread. :P)
Starburst
Ancient Dragon

Post by Starburst »

I wants teh flits. :D Pixel art wins at life.
Molly
Meridian Weyr | Caer Nova | Perigee Castle | Starfall Dragonry
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Dray: I haven't personally read any of the books that Todd's put out - I'm pretty much completely disgusted with the entire Pern thing as it is, which is why I don't usually go in much for "old style" dragons. But I have given into curiosity enough to look at them...

Can't vouch for his writing style -- people seem to think it's good though, not that I have any personal close friends who've picked those books up -- but from reading the book blurbs, it seems he's taking Pern to a much darker direction than Anne did. The most recent one I looked at was mentioning that the firestone mines are running out, and the last known mine was destroyed by an explosion they think was done by work of sabeteur. He seems to be dealing with the common people much more than with the folks that fly a-dragon back above the muck and mire.

I'd suggest going to a library and seeing if they have the books, that way you're not paying money for something you might not like. Honestly, though, Todd's almost got me interested enough to start reading Pern again.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD Go figure. He seems like the sort to take the dark and brooding bent.

Post by Guest »

Dray: Actually, most of Todd's books deal with some sort of catastrophe that needs to be dealt with by the main character and one or two of his/her friends. The first book, Dragon's Kin deals with the whers and a coal mining hold. The second book, Dragon's Blood deals with a sickness that dragons and riders contracted and their fight to find a cure before everything was lost. His third book, Dragon's Fire deals with the running supplies of the available firestone. The kind that exploded when in contact with water. The book deals with finding the right type of firestone that did not injure the dragon or cause any accidents when accidentally moistened. And his fourth book, Dragon Harper, dealt with an epidemic that spread throughout the continent excluding the Weyrs for the dragonriders kept to themselves while the epidemic spread to the population. Likewise, it is a fight to find a cure again. I have to agree with StarFyre, his books deal more closely with the people of Pern than the actual dragonriders of Pern.

PS. The three book titles link to a plot summary from Wikipedia.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

And this dealing more closely with the people of Pern as opposed to the elite dragonriders gives another, just as valid view on the dragonriders than what Anne's books did.

Sure, Anne mentioned that dragonriders aren't all light-and-fluffy-bunnies, but she never really shows the side of them that's elitest. She shows the bonding, and the love between dragon and rider, and how they "fight the good fight" but you never really see them from a commoner's point of view for more than a scene or two.. though White Dragon is an interesting look on dragons and dragonriders (and probably my favorite out of all the stories except for Menoly's books and The Masterharper of Pern which was just sad and beautiful at the same time -- who doesn't like Ruth, cute lil runt White that he is?)

And, I mean, come on -- who wouldn't be at least slightly elitest no matter what their background, while they're flying above the rest of the world, on the backs of the protectors of that very world? Label it whatever you want, but dragonriders are elitest, and it shows in the way Anne portrays them.. not that she ever comes out and outright says it.

Anyway, I'm getting off this subject now =P I have a place to stand when it comes to all of Anne's books, but since I've never read a single one of Todd's, I can't say much except speculation and guesswork from what I do know.
Kitsuneko
Ancient Dragon

Post by Kitsuneko »

Meh. Todd's...not a very good writer. The quality of the writing is terrible; I gave up in annoyance a couple pages into Dragonfire 'cause I couldn't take all the mistakes and inaccuracies. His main characters all lean dangerously close to Mary Sues/Gary Stus as well (Or jump straight across the line deep into Suedom, depending on who you talk to :P).
...I did take a bit of sadistic glee in a particular part of Dragonsblood.
Wouldn't want to spoil it, though.
Darkling Dawn: Fauna Frenzy Open to candidates; flights open to males/females; rukel eggs/breedings available.
Drockh-Tallahn Castle: 3 eggs, 2 available. Females and males needed.
Sgiath Wolfkeep: 7 pups available
Sedona Weyr: 12 eggs, Deadline March 8. Chasers and a female needed.
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Oh boo. Now you make me want to pick up Dragonsblood and skim through it to find whichever part you mentioned.

I like feeling sadistic glee at stuff. Am I a bad person? =P
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

I never really loved the Pern books..I liked the trilogy with the girl that had all the firelizards, but the other ones I couldn't really get into. What I liked was the theory behind them..the five colors, the human/dragon bonding, and so forth. And the firelizards...I really liked those.
I was told the ones by Todd McCaffery weren't that good. I never read them, since I hadn't actually read the ones Anne McCaffery wrote herself, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

It seems reasonable to me that the dragonriders would be elite. After all, they are dragonriders...power of life and death over commoners and so forth. (Or, at least, whether or not their crops burn and they starve.) I know I would be all high-and-mighty under those circumstances.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

/complete thread derail

See that's why Baeris would come up with smaller, compact and easily ridden dragons like Dulath and such. To bring a huge benefit to more common people - helping with emergencies without being so big that they completely ruin the landscape, surviving on much less food, all the while also being able if need be to protect small local areas with flame.

If the dragonriders of a Weyr are the knights and nobles and saints of their world, her dragons and riders would be the police, firemen and foot soldiers. :)

/end derail

;^___^
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

This is why I love Baeris and hers. :D

Something that bugged me about Pernese dragons is that they poop between. >:| First they go and eat millions of herdbeasts and then they don't even have the decency to contribute back to fertilizers and dirt? Bastards~!
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

yup. Though truth be told, that made for a great set of stories for weyrling training... :) I have at least 2 dragons who almost refused to go Between because of that! :D

And for the record, my dragons *don't* do that. What would exactly happen to the ecosystem if they did? *bad science. bad.*
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

XDDD Maybe Between poops it back!
Image Image Image Image
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

... Kat... I don't want to know ^^

Can you imagine some poor bugger, happily going about his business, then being dropped on by a ton of dragon droppings? *gigglefits*
JKatkina
Ancient Dragon

Post by JKatkina »

Farmer: ":D IT'S RAINING FREE FERTILIZER!"

Or maybe they just have brown snowfalls in the winter. "Oh look, the brown snow is falling again!"
Image Image Image Image
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

EW. ew. ew. ew. ew.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD You guys are weird~
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

See what we did there? We went from talking Flits to talkin sh.....................hee.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com