Abscences

Going to be gone for a long time? Just got back from a trip? Keep us in the know here!

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Dray
Dracolich

Abscences

Post by Dray »

Totally bummed, I just got kicked out of school because I failed one course.

I'm going to be slow/non existent for a while, while I fight to regain the place I lost.

The star city stuff will be out in a few days, and... I can't think of anything else that needs to be attended to immediately. To the dragons that I have pending (the Biotheurge from the Twisted Fate is the only one I can immediately recall), may I have an extension if I'm running late?

Suddenly real life got a whole lot more serious. >_<
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Whaaaaat! :( That sucks! :(
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
StarFyre
Ancient Dragon

Post by StarFyre »

Wait, what? That's... really... stupid. Kicked out for failing one class? If that was the case everywhere, I and everyone else I know would have been out on our behinds a long time ago. ... And my two roommates (last year's and this year's) would have been gone by first semester... pity, but no one can have everything their way.

Don't schools usually give probation before they kick you out for failing (unless you do really poorly and fail every class with no good reason)? Unless you'd been super-secretly put on probation and never told? ...

... I'm just working off of what I know from US schools, though, it might be different where you live. In any case, good luck getting this turned around.
Unyko
Dragon

Post by Unyko »

Gyah! That sucks -big time-. x.x *HUG* I don't think you have much to worry about here - no one will blame you if you took a bit of a break to get RL back in order. <3

*shake fist at stupid school that obviously didn't realize what an awesome artist it had* >.>
Image... Image ... Image

Post by Astra »

What are you serious? That's awfully retarded on the school's part to kick you out. And I echo Starfyre's sentiments. If failing one class was grounds for getting chucked out here in Colorado, I'd currently be in the process of inquiring as to whether or not you'd like fries with that. Oh well good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.
ImageImageImage
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

Well, I guess 'kicked out of my program' is a better way to say it. The program I'm in (Visual Communications Design) is touted as one of the best design courses in Canada and it's like three years of boot camp, non stop. I've been learning by leaps and bounds, but the way that they teach has really... I don't know, broken my brain? I used to feel good about doing art and drawing, and now I get stressed out about it to the point where I feel like I'm having a low level heart attack. (When it's not dragons or jracini or adoptables, I mean -- that kind of drawing is comforting.)

Anyways, I've done all that I can do to shove my foot up their ass to get me back into the program. At the worst, I'll be stuck on the fine arts side of school and have to scrabble to make do with what they offer. (Ugh.) At the best, I can try to re-enter where I left off next school year and just take an extra year to graduate. I'm hoping (but not expecting) to be reinstated this semester with my class... I really enjoyed the company of those around me, and it just won't be the same without those familiar faces. :\

This is all my own goddamned fault. I freaked out about the class I failed and refused to talk to anybody (including the teacher) about it, and just stopped coming to class because it kept scaring the shit out of me. >_<" You need a stronger resolve to become a professional artist than what I currently have... I just really, really want to learn how to build up that resolve.

Pthpt.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

o.0 Wow. Those that can't, teach.

A stronger resolve? Um.... that's college-level bullshit right there. Dray sweetie, you're already one of the finest artists I've ever seen. Art should never be a chore, it should not be freaking you out.

I guess that the emo crap from teen years bleeds over into bitter instructors who realize they can torture *other people* instead when they grow up... *hugs*

Take your time. There's no rush - if you have the future of a pro artist (graphic design, covers, whatever else) you're already most of the way there for ability. You already act pretty pro in so far as "I'm going to produce x thing" and show it off when you're ready. I don't know what specific thing you plan on doing when you're graduated, but don't stress about doing it any time *immediately*, just get the education behind you, tuck the things you learn into your braincase, and use it :) That's way more important than freaking out, take your time.

.... Just seeing the words "art" and "boot camp" together make me cringe.
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Xenoqueen
Great Wyrm

Post by Xenoqueen »

I took an extra year to graduate, myself. Dropped out of a course just before I failed it, took fewer courses, changed my angle of approach on my final portfolio....

Can't offer much but hugs and sympathy here, but allow me to offer support of the notion of "taking your time". I went through the whole stress and heartache a few quarters before my original graduation, myself, and then just had to decide for me and me alone to slow down to where the art was still FUN rather than a panic-attack to meet a swarm of deadlines.

You've certainly got the talent in abundance. Not you just have to allot it out the right way without killing yourself. :)
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

XD The instructors are actually pro's themselves -- they're running businesses on the side, acting as art directors, or are free lance types who are pretty damned gung ho!

Thanks for the support, though. <:) You guys mean a lot to me, I appreciate your words.
Dray
Dracolich

Post by Dray »

My appeal went through for the program....

Looks like I'm back in.

I'm shell shocked again but I think in a good way. LOTS of work to make up for that I've missed over the past two weeks!

Announcing potential absence just in case I get thrown into the meatgrinder!
Xalia
Great Wyrm

Post by Xalia »

Congrats on getting back in! :D
Kilandaia
Tripaldi Weyr
TSCZ
Jurizlandia-Coming Soon
TyGryph
Dragon

Post by TyGryph »

Congratulations Dray! *hugs quick and runs off to sharpen more pencils for you*
If you catch me on AIM (thecrazytiger) please send me a quick note and remind me your name on there. It has been so long since I used that chat medium, I'm staring blankly at my list and not knowing who's actually there. >.<

Nidus RyslenArx Atra Mons
Flurry 2006 & Flurry 2007 -- Then and Now
Avatar by Shard Frizzle, Base by ILCK.
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Wheee! I ... think.... o.o lol
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
Kendarath
Dragon

Post by Kendarath »

Yey! Congrats Dray. Good luck/skill with it :P
ImageImageImageImage
Cacopheny
Dragon

Post by Cacopheny »

Woot, good luck! =D
The stupidest smart person you ever met.