For all you technical people...(HELP!!!)

For general discussions of any sort that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard, JKatkina

caesiusdraco
Fledgling

For all you technical people...(HELP!!!)

Post by caesiusdraco »

Let's say your laptop is laying neat and folded up next to couch, and someone happens to step on it...and crush the screen. X.X

Is there any way to rescue information off the harddrive?
S.R. / Coeptus Weir
~*~
Before she turns, rose-thorned tail streaking my hood,
I glimpse from her a thought like jagged glass,
Yet delicate with the texture of sentience:
We remain "turtle-apes", only the shells of our armors grow.
-My Bones Waxed Old by Robert Frazier
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

Well unless the hard drive is hidden somewhere behind the screen, you'd want to take it out and put it in a working laptop. Hopefully none of the connections between it and the system were damaged.

*wishing that this was a hypothetical question*
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
caesiusdraco
Fledgling

Post by caesiusdraco »

Unfortunately, it's not.

I'm not really sweating it too bad, though. The only templates I have on there are ones that I've already adopted out, everything else is on my website.

The only things I really want off there are the backups of all my characters, the first six chapters of a novel, and PSP. And I lent the CD that I had the pirated copy of it on to a friend, who's now in Taiwan. X/

Oh well, this computer my dad got for me has this program called GimpShop on it. Ever heard of it? It appears to be a knockoff of PSP. Now I just have to figure out how to make it work.

The problem is that it's an old like 96 model Compaq. I don't know if I could find another one. X/
S.R. / Coeptus Weir
~*~
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

Look on eBay for a similar laptop.. you may be able to scavenge it for parts if you send both the crunched one and the spare-parts one to a computer repair place.

Also, your laptop should have a port in the back for an external monitor! Just yank any monitor from a regular computer and plug in the thick cable to the appropriate port on the back of the laptop. Then, when you boot up the little one, it should feed the visual info to the big screen :D

Sorry to hear about your laptop :{ I was sad when mine died, so I know how you feel.

::cackles:: but I made this and felt better: http://www.deviantart.com/view/5262235/
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
Listen2Reason
Egg

Post by Listen2Reason »

I'm sure the hard drive is okay even if the screen isn't. The external monitor solution LakotaWolf suggested sounds perfect. It might also be possible to network your computer with some other computer...(That's probably the best way to get the files off anyway...)

And yes, I have heard of Gimp, though I've never used it myself...it's an open source graphics manipulation program. (Which means it's free. :D )
"I'm sure they'll listen to Reason."
Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I've seen plenty of gimp-produced pieces on DA, the program apparently does work pretty well. :)

So.... how's the lappy?
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
DNS
Ancient Dragon

Post by DNS »

Gimp screws up on windows sometimes, but otherwise it was love. i had it when i didn't have adobe and it took some time to get used to, but it's the next best thing.
caesiusdraco
Fledgling

Post by caesiusdraco »

The laptop appears to have truly eaten it. :/ I tried Lakota's ingenious suggestion, which I for some reason never thought of. 9.9 It won't even turn on, it just sits there with all the 'lock lights' (scroll lock, number lock, etc.) on whether I've turned them or not, and the 'on' light just flashes. I don't know if they busted something inside when it got stepped on or what...*le sigh*

Gimp ALWAYS freezes up when I try to use it. It's really frustrating. But then, it's running on a Dell.
S.R. / Coeptus Weir
~*~
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

If you need a graphics program, I got PSP7 you can download. It's around 30meg, so unless you're on dialup, it won't take long...

Being stepped on probably killed more than just the screen. If you're lucky, you'll be able to remove the hard drive (and hopefully it's not damaged), then you can at least rescue your data.
caesiusdraco
Fledgling

Post by caesiusdraco »

If you need a graphics program, I got PSP7 you can download. It's around 30meg, so unless you're on dialup, it won't take long...
OMFGSQUEE!!! Really? I worship the ground you walk on!!

I'm on dial-up here, but my BF's parents have cable, and I could just burn it to a CD over there.

That's SO awesome of you, seriously. I was trying to use GIMP today, and I came really close to throwing my monitor out the window, because I was convinced that if nothing else would work on it, then gravity must not either.

Anyway, lemme know where I have to go to snag it, and I can get myself over there tomorrow and have funtioning graphics again! You can e-mail me at thelizardlady(at)draconigena(dot)net.

Thanks so much again!!!
S.R. / Coeptus Weir
~*~
Shiolar
Dragon

Post by Shiolar »

You can download it from http://shiolar.merseine.nu/psp7.exe

Anybody else who needs it can snag it too.

I've been distributing this particular file for so many years now... Heh.

Enjoy! :)