Chasers and Flights Needed at Seiryuu Weyr

Need risers and/or chasers? Advertise here.

Moderators: Mystic Dragon, Xalia, Shard

Quachir
Hatchling

Chasers and Flights Needed at Seiryuu Weyr

Post by Quachir »

Title says it all, don't you think?

But for a bit more in depth, right now Seiryuu only has one flight open on the boards which will take place as soon as the current clutch hatches. So if you have some males that might be open to partisapate in a flight you're more than welcome to enter them into the gold flight open there.

And because there's only one flight open I'm also in need of females who are in need of a place to fly and clutch.

Just thought I'd try to announce it to people as it's always a hard thing to find those willing to take up mating flights as the fliers or the chasers.

For the URL for Seiryuu Wery just click on the words in my sig.
Fly high and clear skies,
-Weyrwoman Quachir, Sr. Queen Mekoth's rider

SeiryuuWeyr Dragons, Fire Lizards, and Chibi Flits
Turasake Hold Felines and Runnerbeasts

Reopening:
Cincanta Weyr
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

When you say "large specials/rares" in your Dragon Colors Allowed for flights, what exactly does that mean? XD My dragons are pretty much the furthest thing in the world from Pernese dragons, so I don't know if you'd even allow them. Of course, since you only have "colors" listed, I could always color one bronze... ::cackles:: I wouldn't do that without your permission though :3 So I figured I'd check with ya first.

I'd be more than happy to submit a female to you for a flight, but again it's the same problem :/ I'm still kind of new here, so the only thing I have that's even remotely close to a Pernese female is a green from Dasmalenra Weyr.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is your Weyr pretty strict to Pernese-types or are you open to weird fluffy things? XD

...and is it possible to make my own images for Runners and breed them too? :3
Lakota Windfang Sheean,
Professional Misanthropist
http://www.splintyr.com

Letting the days go by - Let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by - Water flowing underground
Into the blue again - After the money's gone
Once in a lifetime - Water flowing underground
Quachir
Hatchling

Post by Quachir »

LakotaWolf wrote:When you say "large specials/rares" in your Dragon Colors Allowed for flights, what exactly does that mean? XD My dragons are pretty much the furthest thing in the world from Pernese dragons, so I don't know if you'd even allow them. Of course, since you only have "colors" listed, I could always color one bronze... ::cackles:: I wouldn't do that without your permission though :3 So I figured I'd check with ya first.

I'd be more than happy to submit a female to you for a flight, but again it's the same problem :/ I'm still kind of new here, so the only thing I have that's even remotely close to a Pernese female is a green from Dasmalenra Weyr.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is your Weyr pretty strict to Pernese-types or are you open to weird fluffy things? XD

...and is it possible to make my own images for Runners and breed them too? :3
I'm truthfully new here as well but only in the fact that I didn't get to this form until recently; was on the original Protectoret group on Yahoo! before it moved here.

What the ruling means is that any color that was discribed as of large size. So with Chillidoth's flight it means she wants browns, bronzes, and large special/rares, meaning anything not of the standard five colors (green, blue, brown, bronze, and gold) that is discribed as being at least the size of at a Pern sized average-large brown and up.

So let me show you some examples with the rare situation. If you had say a cream male that was described as the size of an average sized brown dragon they would be considered OK for the flight.

Now say you had a male purple that was the size of a large blue; he wouldn't be accepted for the flight because he would be too small to support Chillidoth if he were to win the flight and it would be dangerious for both dragons.

Now if you had a very large blue, the size of a large brown or small bronze (like one of my searchrider's, Ar'wen's, huge blue Camoth) just because he's the size of a bronze does not mean he would be allowed to fly in Chillioth's flight as he is not a rare color, or what is considered a rare/special color on Pern.

And finally a grey area, say you had a male green that was the size of a brown or larger. Greens aren't rare to Pern but they are never male so I'm a little undecided in that part of the story... in that case I'd probably refer to the writer of the female dragon, in this case Naeodin, and see what she considers there as she's the one who would be making the final decion. For all we know she could accept that but not have Chillidoth caught by that male green or she could nix it all together as he is a green.

I hope that helps you make sense of the situation.

Oh and as a extra note, I go by AM's original standard for dragons sizes(before she realized the hugeness of the dragons at that size); that is they are messured in meters and not feet.

EDIT> Realized I missed the runner thing at the end. You're more than welcome to make your own runners, I wasn't the first to start runner races online but I believe I may have been one of the first to join up in it. First person I knew of who did it was a person the older bunch of us who started adopting on Pern years back was done by Weyrwoman Falora but she dissappeared shortly after helping to create Alaskyr (if I remember correctly she's the one that came up with the name for the world at that).

There however were never many places that ran runner races so it might not be a very active area, just to warn you. As far as I know, the last runner race I heard of being run was at Veloche Beasthold but even that at this time is at a stand still... might be because me and the owner of that Hold are pretty much the only ones who have some interest in it any more. Even when there was some interest in it there seemed to be only about three different writers for the races that consisted of between 9-15 runners

OH, and sorry, just realized you also made the fluffy comment *smacks head for not reading a post thuroughly* As long as it's a dragon, fluffy or not, and is of size they should be fine to fly though the fluffy probably will never show in their children unless I draw up a new set of dragon images... which in truth I've been thinking of it but am reluctant to do as I'd have to recolor everything again.

Reopening:
Cincanta Weyr
Asha Wermyst
Dragon

Post by Asha Wermyst »

Hmm.....I do have an old world brown. I'll give it a look, but my females aren't wanting to fly now....
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

Okay, one more question, then :3 It looks like McCaffrey's original sizing has golds at about 40-45 meters long, which is like 130-150 feet long. Personally, I think that's a bit ridiculous, but I hear it was a "mistake" and it's her own fault XD Also, I've found some references that say that Pernese dragons are "three times" the size of horses... plus pretty much all of the illustrations on the covers make the dragons look a lot smaller than 130 feet long. That's like 21 times the height of a 6-foot-tall man. I'm not knocking you, I just want to make sure this is the dragon-sizing system you're going with.

So basically, how large would a bronze be in your mind? A bit smaller than golds, I know, but I just want to get a rough idea. My own dragons are usually up to 30-35 FEET long, so if I want to enter one in the flight, Kaere is going to have to do some serious genetic engineering to get one that large :D

Just thought I'd ask ya - thanks for answering all my questions so far... I know I've been a bit of a pest XD
Lakota Windfang Sheean,

Samber
Dragon

Post by Samber »

Funny... I'd always though that the meters thing was a DLG error (like the famous upside-down map and nonexistent characters). I mean, in Dragonflight, Ramoth's head is about 6 feet... and I think that's long, not tall. Going by my own measuringness (doodling on graph paper) either they're snakes with wings or Ramoth is really no more than 75 feet long... probably less.
LakotaWolf
Dragon

Post by LakotaWolf »

I always thought that myself too, Samber, but the reason why I ask is because Quachir posted:

"Oh and as a extra note, I go by AM's original standard for dragons sizes(before she realized the hugeness of the dragons at that size); that is they are messured in meters and not feet."

So I'm just confused - easy enough since I'm blonde XD
Lakota Windfang Sheean,

Shard
Great Wyrm

Post by Shard »

I'm guessing that by big, she means big. :) Meters big.

It was Anne's mix up, the DLG merely reported it based on the original printings of her books, I think didn't they say she 'corrected herself' and now they're in feet? I think she was senile long before now... :D

Big dragons. :)
Author of Repurposed
kshau-protectorate.com
GildedLilly
Fledgling

Post by GildedLilly »

Seeing as it's HER, I think she did it just to screw things up for people like us. >.<

Anyways, a gold is around 45 feet, or 15 meters, by most measurements. That's pretty big, but the dragons in Dragon'sDawn were much smaller than that, about 25ish feet long for a gold at the most. Greens were barely big enough to ride.

Random tidbit of the day: dragons grew quite a bit over the turns and turns between the time they were engeneered and Ramoth's time, so there's some leeway as to the actuall size.
Quachir
Hatchling

Post by Quachir »

Well let's think of it this way, I always think of my dragons in meters because that's how I remember learning things from the books, then found out she put them to feet. Now if you consider that, anybody I get feet messurments from I usually just change the word feet to meters... W00T now your dragons three times the size :shock: :D :twisted:

As for the first dragons, they were the size of horses, I remember that one distinctly so they could only be around 15 feet in themselves as a normal horse by my thoughts is at most six or seven feet high and if you think maybe the neck and tail all together is about the same length as the mane part of the body at most it's 20 feet.

OK.... how did I get into a discussion about what should be standard size when I was asking for flights and chasers? This discussion seems like it should be in a thread on the logic on Pern... which reminds me of a discusion I started at some RP Weyr about how the 9th pass would have been the 11th pass if AVIAS was never discovered... OK shutting up about the technical stuff now.

Reopening:
Cincanta Weyr